Saturday, August 21, 2010

I am not a puppy....

I understand that sometimes in life, some people just simply did not get the genetic sturcture to be pleasant. Rudeness is passed down from generation to generation and eventually it becomes normal to be rude. It is a sad phenomonon, but we in the service industry have come to accept that most people think it is our fault that their life sucks.
Last night at work, a table of four sat down and I immediately knew that they would be rude, it would be someone's birthday, and they would be a good $5 tip at best. However, I was prepared for all of that. What I was not prepared for was for this woman, certainly not a lady, to snap her fingers at me as if I were a puppy who refuses to ues the bathroom outside. She might as well have sprayed me with a squirt bottle and hit my nose with newspaper.
UGH!!!!!!!!!
I greeted them and they lived up to all of my expectations. I walked away to give them a minute to decide, then I came back. Now, before I continue, I should say that this woman has been on her phone this entire time, from the second they walked in the door. While on the phone, she says and points... "it's his birfday." No friends, I didn't spell it incorrectly... Then everyone proceeds to order and as I am about to turn to her to ger her order she SNAPS HER FINGERS AT ME. Her three friends make "oh shit" looks at one another, and then look at me. I take a deep breath and count to 5. 10 would have been better, but we move quickly in this line of work.
I turn to her and I say, please don't snap your fingers at me again, I am a person, not a puppy.
I took her order and then made one of my lovely coworkers do their birfday song and I refused to speak to them for the rest of the night.
Their bill was around $80. I got $1.70. Hey at least I was only $3.30 off. People, just beause someone is waiting on you doesn't mean that they are incompetant, or deserve to be treated like rodents. I have two college degrees and this woman probably didn't even finish high school.
I just don't get it. So, be kind to your servers, and always remember, Tipping is not a city in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment