Thursday, May 6, 2010

I just need a minute

Two days ago I fully intended to talk about the specific groups of people that as a server, irritate the hell out of me. However, tonight something happened that I simply can not ignore. Sometimes there is just that one person who sends you over the edge and you find yourself saying to everyone, "guys, I just need a minute."
On this particular, unseasonably slow evening, everything was going fine. The people were at least friendly, if not good tippers. The kitchen was executing everything very smoothly and everyone, including myself seemed to be in a good mood. Now, anyone who works in this business knows that these are usually the signs of the calm before the storm, but I apparently didn't get that memo tonight. For the first hour or so of my shift I even had "tonight's gonna be a good night" running happily through my head. Then I met him, and I could have lost my job tonight for the awful things that ran through my head.
When two people sit down at a table, whether we like it or not, we automatically assess them. We can't help it, it has become second nature. "Oh, ok, a good 15%." "Smooothies all around." "Ugh, they're gonna be here forever," etc. etc. However my immediate assessment of this particular table was "cool, they look nice." Well that my friends was way off.
At my job we are required to greet the guests and quickly inform them about everything they need to know to survive for the next hour, give or take, in our establishment. We don't go so far as to tell them where the fire exits are, but still the information is friendly and necessary. Tonight I went to my table and began with my usual speech. "Hey guys, how's it goin? If you need me do this... Here's my favorites... etc. etc."
With this particular couple I got as far as "how's it goin?" before the gentleman (which is clearly an obvious lie) Put his hand in my face and said "Stop speaking." I was in such a state of shock that I could not even form the words that would have actually gotten me fired if I had said them out loud. I know that the color left my face and for at least 30 seconds I stared at him as if he had just ran over my puppy with his car and said "oops." Finally I just walked away. I went into one of our side stations and said "guys, I just need a minute."
I still can't believe the audacity of a person who could actually be genetically so rude. How dare he speak to me that way when all I am doing is trying to make his experience at this establishment a little bit more enjoyable. Fuck you, dude. Its people like that who really cause servers to want to act like the cast of Waiting. Would I ever actually do something horrible and grotesque to his food? No, but I sure as hell wanted to.
The moral of this story is the next time you see someone who obviously doesn't have the best gig in the world, try smiling at them. Tell them a joke, make someones day, because there are a lot of ass holes in the world who try to bring other people down. Thanks for listening and always remember, Tipping is not a city in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment